Monday, December 29, 2008

Where will the fish be?







The creek this morning has started to recede from the angry flood waters and winds that ravaged her over the last few days. The water is still chocolate but she is pushing out a more realistic and manageable flow. She may be fishable by tomorrow. God knows I would like one more chrome fish before the new year and the next cold snap. The question is....How many fish have come in through the flood waters and where will they be in the system?
I am out of roe at this time so if I go tomorrow it will be yarn and pinkies. I would like to get Commander Tom out tomorrow as he is the king of the Irish Jig. He loves the 1/32 ounce jig in pink and white as you can see in his pictures. I am slowly working on my friend and luring him to the dark side of the centerpin world. I have an old St. Croix wild river float rod sitting in storage which I could give to him but we must work on his wife to get the green light for a new reel purchase.
On another note I walked into a bar last night to meet Commander Tom for a drink and a pizza pie. While waiting for him an off duty employee asked me if I steelhead fish with a fly rod. I told him no with a centerpin. Sitting next to him was another friend of mine's girlfriend. She busts out and states that her boyfriend(a fly guy and also a friend of mine) told her that centerpinning is cheating and not fair. WTF.
I proclaim that the split between fly guys and pinners is the Arab/Israeli conflict of steelheading. Cant we all just get along? There is a beauty to be found in both techniques.
I personally think spey casting is beautiful and I love the sight of tube flies but there is something about the centerpin slowly paying out the line as your float drifts gracefully down a pool that I love. It is truly is the beautiful game as they say is the Brazilian soccer world.
I honestly probably fish with egg and yarn flies more than with roe ( along with the pink worm which was on fire for me all fall). so tell me how that is cheating if we are both using flies. I am not chumming which is illegal in NY anyway and something I never did nor promoted. So where is my unfair advantage?
I think the key to peace and good will on any stream is courtesy. If someone is fishing a pool or run you want to fish; just keep walking and don't even bother the guy. There will be other days to fish those spots. No body likes another fisherman regardless of his technique that jumps into your hole with out even asking for permission out of courtesy. When you do that you look like a hack.
I especially dislike other pinners who hop into your hole without even a hello and drift their floats in front of you and past you... Rude MF's. I have a word for those pinners.... Pin Donkeys. Let me know your thoughts on where you think the fish will be holding post flood. There will probably be a lot of new stream changes due to mother nature. Also let me know what you think of the Arab/Israeli conflict of steelheading. We all need to get along!